Ya Fatah!

Murshid Samuel Lewis, who started the Dances of Universal Peace in his garage in 1968, is quoted as saying: "The first year I planted many seeds, but in the fall, there were no flowers. I planted seeds again the next year, and the next year, and the next, but each fall, no flowers grew. But then one fall, not only that year's flowers bloomed, but flowers from all the seeds that I had ever planted were sprouting wherever I looked."
"I cannot harvest all of these flowers myself!" he prayed.
"Take what you can," the Infinite replied, "and I will take care of the rest."
I spent this past week in the Woodlands again, at the Ruhaniat Sufi Youth Retreat. I am really amazed at how well this week went for me. I have never really been able to just jump into a group of people I have never known before and quickly become comfortable, so going to this camp on such short notice and without any previous connections (aside from Robin Tala of Con Con 2004 and this kid Nathan who I met on the bluffs on Monday) was definitely a bit of a leap socially. I quickly bonded with many people and had a fantastic time. I'm pretty sure I can't chalk up how easy it was to integrate myself in the Sufi community to the weird "being on the road" luck that I've been having for the last month.
The Sufi spiritual practices are basically a synthesis of meditation, dance, and community worship. Basically they are incredible and diverse. woke up at 7 every morning to practice Raga scales; we had Dances of Universal Peace both in the morning and at night; we had Japanese Tea Ceremony with Asha every afternoon... we had a writing workshop, a few of us joined the UU Family Camp for a sweat lodge... every activity and person there was incredibly energetic and inspiring. People came from across the country, and we had a couple of folks who were traveling from St. Petersburg, Russia!
One of the last things Shabda told us at the closing ceremony today was a reminder that even though we didn't notice it at the moment, it would be apparent once we went into town that we had achieved a psychadelic state after a week of meditation, dancing, and zhikr. As beautiful as the redwoods are, everything on the drive home was also so much more beautiful than i realized before. The fog, the ocean, and Gowan's apple cider. There is definitely a long comedown period after a retreat like that.
It was also cool to experience both the Sufi Camp and the UU Camp simultaneously... at a couple points, I observed that the two communities were like independent tribes living down the road from each other - we would send messages back and forth down the road by jogging or biking. I definitely plan to spend at least two weeks at the Woodlands next summer as well.
As far as this summer's plans go, the ride with Doug to Boston has come through, and I will be leaving later this week. May the path manifest itself.


--Photo by Andres Felipe


2 Comments:
Please excuse this long comment, Michael, but this poem kind of reminded me of you :-P
-Brian (coop Brian)
Manifesto:
The Mad Farmer Liberation Front
by Wendell Berry
Love the quick profit, the annual raise,
vacation with pay. Want more
of everything ready-made. Be afraid
to know your neighbors and to die.
And you will have a window in your head.
Not even your future will be a mystery
any more. Your mind will be punched in a card
and shut away in a little drawer.
When they want you to buy something
they will call you. When they want you
to die for profit they will let you know.
So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.
Denounce the government and embrace
the flag. Hope to live in that free
republic for which it stands.
Give your approval to all you cannot
understand. Praise ignorance, for what man
has not encountered he has not destroyed.
Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millenium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.
Say that the leaves are harvested
when they have rotted into the mold.
Call that profit. Prophesy such returns.
Put your faith in the two inches of humus
that will build under the trees
every thousand years.
Listen to carrion -- put your ear
close, and hear the faint chattering
of the songs that are to come.
Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful
though you have considered all the facts.
So long as women do not go cheap
for power, please women more than men.
Ask yourself: Will this satisfy
a woman satisfied to bear a child?
Will this disturb the sleep
of a woman near to giving birth?
Go with your love to the fields.
Lie down in the shade. Rest your head
in her lap. Swear allegiance
to what is nighest your thoughts.
As soon as the generals and the politicos
can predict the motions of your mind,
lose it. Leave it as a sign
to mark the false trail, the way
you didn't go.
Be like the fox
who makes more tracks than necessary,
some in the wrong direction.
Practice resurrection.
you are so cool :) i love hearing about your adventures! you hippie! ;)
luv-j
Post a Comment
<< Home