Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Decisions, Decisions.

I've covered a lot of road since my last official update. I flew into JFK on the 5th of this month and headed up to Summer's End for my third year there, which I think was the most fulfilling of the three weeks I've spent with that community. I spent the weekend after SE in Nashua again, heading down to New Jersey with the half intention of moving back up to New England for a while.

Now, I'm rolling around New Jersey armed with a full suite of software and an expired credit card trying to decide whether to go north or southwest. I basically have three paths before me:

1) Rent a room in Burlington for two months, possibly working as a carpenter's assistant;
2) Work a quick weekend job in Burlington and then do work exchange or election campaigning around New England through the fall;
3) Ride to North Carolina with my friend Frank on Friday, meeting up in Asheville to ride west on a veggie-oil bus.

The first path is a tougher path starting out, and a gamble - I've got to make sure I've got temporary work up in Burlington, as well as a place to live and a way to get home. But I'll be able to save up some money to move to Berkeley easily and I'll be able to pick up some carpentry skills. The third path may make it harder to do move to Berkeley in November, but I can always settle quickly in another place along the way and it is a once in a lifetime chance - I mean, how many times do you get to live in a veggie-oil bus?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home