Time For Collecting Thoughts And Sampling Everything At The Farmers' Market.
It's busy here on the farm, but I have a lot of time to collect thoughts from the whole trip and to read in the evenings. I'm reading "The Search" by Tom Brown, Jr., a book I got from the kind stranger named Eric in Connecticut who invited me to his home for a couple glasses of water. The book is about the experiences Tom had as a boy, when he learned from an Apache how to live off the land in New Jersey. His experiences of playing with animals, and his translation of the concept of the Great Spirit are very well expressed - definitely a good read.
Yesterday was market day for the farm, so it was quite crazy around here. We had to harvest beets, husk cherries, swiss chard, tomatoes, melons, and eggplants all in the morning, keep them fresh until the market, while Bonnie finished the food prep in the kitchen. We loaded up the truck in a rush and made it to the market in time to set up in a rush. As soon as we had our table half set up, the crowd swarmed on us for free melon samples.
The next couple of days promise to be equally hectic for me, because I'm helping Corinne sell her baked goods at the Bennington farmers' market on Saturday (and being paid to do it!) But its been sunny the past couple of days, and it might hit 80 today (!) so this afternoon I'll go for a bike ride into town to buy a notebook and some new socks.
Yesterday was market day for the farm, so it was quite crazy around here. We had to harvest beets, husk cherries, swiss chard, tomatoes, melons, and eggplants all in the morning, keep them fresh until the market, while Bonnie finished the food prep in the kitchen. We loaded up the truck in a rush and made it to the market in time to set up in a rush. As soon as we had our table half set up, the crowd swarmed on us for free melon samples.
The next couple of days promise to be equally hectic for me, because I'm helping Corinne sell her baked goods at the Bennington farmers' market on Saturday (and being paid to do it!) But its been sunny the past couple of days, and it might hit 80 today (!) so this afternoon I'll go for a bike ride into town to buy a notebook and some new socks.


2 Comments:
sounds like soooo much fun! might be hitting up a malibu/ojai farm soon, if they have any small work for an armless me. :)
luv, j
mmm farmers market samples...
I'm so happy there are farmers markets 3 times a week here in Berkeley, only I live by myself so I can never buy much cause it'll go bad if I don't eat it.
Post a Comment
<< Home