Monday, November 20, 2006

Dreams.

Last night I had a strange dream - or maybe it was a normal dream, just strange that I remember what the dream was so vividly.

The world flooded.

It was not unlike a tsunami, but the magnitude of the flood was much greater, and it did not appear to come as a wave; in fact, the swell height was calm, in a human scale. The sea just swelled upward, and upward, and upward. It filled every building from the bottom up. As the waters came, I was in the forest not too near a house in a mountainous, coastal area. The elevation of this place must have been at least two hundred feet above sea level. I was with an unknown companion; both of us were picked up by the rising waters, carried upward, two souls in the water. I swam down briefly to catch our bearings, and we were near to the house - I'm not sure how we stayed in contact with the house as the waters rose and fell, but we did. I jerked my companion by the hand so she would see the house as we rose to the surface. As I mentioned, the swell height was low, and on the water's surface, the horizon was easily visible.

Afterwards, the newspapers all proclaimed that the surge in the sea level had originated in the Arctic Sea - possibly the Greenland Ice Sheet, though I didn't read the article in depth - and even though it was a freak occurrence, scientists had an theory in the works to explain the flood.

Society was transformed. Everyone was a survivor. No resource was left untapped, and all bureaucratic inefficiency was swept aside with the flood as people banded together to rebuild.

This was made manifest in the new phone books that came out in the months after the flood. I don't quite remember the words, but I (cynically?) mentioned that the new format of the phone book reflected people's desire to live, and live fulfillingly.

--

1 Comments:

Blogger Jiling 林基玲 said...

fascinating :)

giant flood from melting glaciers, perhaps?

i really dig the ending though

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home